Monday, February 1, 2010

Nigeria: what do you write?

I was asked by the Prince Claus Fund and the Mondriaan Foundation to give a 30-minute presentation on Nigeria: people, politics and culture. The talk comes up on February 3, 2010. For a long while, I was confused. What do you say about a country that you love so intensely but whose leaders let you down so much? How can you be fair about Nigeria without lying? The paradoxes of Nigeria became my heartache! A country so rich yet so poor; so big yet so small that Abacha kept her in his chest pockets for years... I was delighted when I later received a phone call from the organisers asking me to limit my presentation to Lagos. Ah! Lagos. Click here for the presentation and please leave your comments.

Thanks.

1 comment:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

May I confess that I seriously heaved a sigh of relief when you noted that the speech was limited to Lagos. I feel there are enough positive things to say about Lagos even though the governor is now facing a scandal.

Off to check out the lecture.

Happy new year.