I have been here in the Netherlands three months and it is time to return home—home sweat home. I shut my eyes and decided what I want to remember about this beautiful little country and its people. Here is a short list:
Bicycles...bloemen(flowers)...canals...clogs...dogs...dikes...A great people!
Following is an expanded list, a dictionary of sorts:
- Beer means Heineken and Amstel—that’s all
- Bicycle means a Dutch national identity which must be triple-chained or else it is stolen! (The same way a bicycle was treated in Achebe’s Things Fall Apart.) (You've heard of 'stolen identity'?)
- Coffee shops: These are places where ‘coffee’ is served rolled in paper and smoked! Coffeejuana. (See 'drugs' below)
- Dogs: These are full-blown citizens with national passports and citizen rights and political party! Dogs take their owners out for a walk. (See 'walkway' below)
- Drugs: Something you should see with your eyes tightly open and discuss with your mouth widely shut.
- Dutch bargain: Something expensively cheap. For example: ‘Rejoice: I saved two Euros comparing prices across 32 shops!’ Alle moet weg!
- Dutch language: A language that is easy to speak—just pretend to be suppressing a bad cough—Wageningen; vereniging
- Dutch national flag: A controversial piece of cloth: Did the French copy the Dutch or the Dutch copy the French?
- Dutch woman: Someone that’s ever smiling--Wonder why she’s called vrouw when she hardly frowns. Could it be because she sneezes very loud? Atchoooooo!
- Energy: Something you spend all your energy saving. For example, it’s better to be sick saving resources than to be warm spending them.
- Flowers (Bloemen): What your host spends three hours showing you and you can’t see it because it is yet to sprout!
- Space: Something small but enough for everyone—except now that Geert Wilders is fuming.
- Space: Something you must economise by writing several words as one: Oldenbarneveltweg!
- The Dutch: very friendly, so very friendly people
- Walkway: Dogs’ lavatory—watch out!
- ASC, Leiden: a great place of wonderful people...
I enjoyed my stay in Holland. I hope to be back someday.